Mathematics
Te Tari Pāngarau me te Tatauranga
Department of Mathematics & Statistics

MATH104 Supplementary Calculus 2

First SemesterAlso available:  Second Semester
9 points
Not available after 2018
 

*** Not available in 2019! ***

This 9-point half-paper covers methods and applications of calculus, building on MATH 160/102. It consists of the calculus component of MATH 170. However, it is not by itself a sufficient foundation for second-year calculus (MATH 203, COMO 202) - for these papers, MATH 170 is required.

Paper details

This paper extends some of the topics covered in MATH 160, and introduces others that are new. It starts with sequences (an ordered list of numbers, possibly infinite) and series (the sum of all the numbers in a sequences). The course then introduces special functions such as the natural logarithm, hyperbolic functions, and inverse trigonometric and hyperbolic functions. After further methods of integration and applications of integration to arclength and volumes, the course concludes with the study of differential equations (and examples of their many uses).

Potential students

MATH 104 is taken only by students who need the calculus component (but not the algebra) of MATH 170. This situation may arise when a student has transferred from another university, or is majoring in another subject which requires a knowledge of calculus but not the same level of algebra.

Prerequisites

MATH 160 or MATH 102 or high achievement (mostly Excellences and Merits) in NCEA Level 3 Mathematics with Calculus

Main topics

Text

Course materials will be available on the resource page. The book MATH 170 Calculus Outline Notes is available for purchase from the Print Shop.

Recommended text: Calculus by James Stewart, metric version, 8th edition (available from the University Book Shop). Older editions of this textbook are perfectly good.

Useful references

Several standard texts are suitable for reference. For example:

Lecturer (Semester 1)

Dr Richard Norton (Room 513)

Lectures (Semester 1)

Tuesday, Thursday and alternate Fridays at 12 noon

Tutorials

Attendance at tutorials is voluntary. An open system operates: tutorial classes run for up to 10 hours per week (depending on demand), and students may attend as many as they need to and are able to.

Internal Assessment

Five computer Skills Tests make up 20% of your final mark. The other 80% comes from a mix of your final exam mark and the assignment mark which is based solely on the ten marked weekly assignments.

You can check your marks by clicking on the Resources link at the top of this page.

Terms Requirement

You have to fulfil the terms requirement in order to be allowed to sit the final exam.

In this paper, to pass “terms” you need to:

Exam format

The 90-minute final exam is answered in spaces provided on the question booklet. All questions should be attempted and the number of marks available for each question is indicated on the paper. There are usually about 15 questions.

Previous exams

Final mark

So your internal assessment counts at 1/5 weighting if that helps you.

While we strive to keep details as accurate and up-to-date as possible, information given here should be regarded as provisional. Individual lecturers will confirm teaching and assessment methods.